Text Size:

Bulky items of household waste

When you replace items, try to give the old ones away to friends and family first. If they are not interested, try Chesterfield Freecycle or local charities like St Vincent de Paul Society at Staveley (01246 472 243), the YMCA (01246 564 924) or Ashgate Hospice Furniture Project (01246 229 536).

If none of these work, the council provides a collection and disposal service for large items of household furniture and kitchen appliances, such as:

  • mattresses
  • beds
  • sofas
  • fridges
  • heaters
  • TVs

We do not collect:

  • glass
  • radiators
  • doors
  • fitted furniture
  • windows
  • gates
  • sheds
  • green houses
  • garden waste (There are a few exceptions, please see the green waste section below.)

Please note that this is not a definitive list. As a general rule, we collect those items that you would normally take with you if you moved house. We do not collect waste from home improvement and repairs.

You can either call in to the Customer Service Centre at New Square, Chesterfield, to make the arrangements and pay by cash, cheque, credit or debit card, or you can phone in your request and pay by credit or debit card, or post a cheque or postal order. In some circumstances we will call out to take payment and issue a receipt. Ring 01246 345 734/345 543 to arrange a collection. A list of the items to be collected will be taken and only those on the list will be taken. Please do not break up furniture unless you are advised to do so.

Charges from 1 April 2015

One item: £14.20
Two to five items: £21.60
Six to ten items: £28.60
Fridges and freezers: £14.20 per unit

These charges are reduced by 50 per cent for residents in receipt of housing or council tax benefit.

If you have more than ten items or the waste cannot be quantified over the phone, we will arrange a visit and provide you with a price based on an hourly rate. Compared with hiring a skip for the waste, collections are good value for money.

Green waste

The majority of properties in the borough are using the green wheeled bin for garden waste or they are composting it for their own use. If you do not have a green bin, you are allowed two free collections of up to ten bags in a year. After this you must compost at home or take it to a Household Waste Recycling Site.

If you have a car and have items that will fit into it, you can deliver them to a Household Waste Recycling Site. These are located on Sheffield Road, Stonegravels, and Buttermilk Lane, Bolsover.

For more information on these sites, visit the Derbyshire County Council's website.

For more information, please contact us through the website or on 01246 345 734/345 543.

Complete our online enquiry form.

Phone or text
Tel: 01246 345 345
Text: 07960 910 264

In person
Customer Service Centre
85 New Square
Chesterfield S40 1SN

8.30am to 5pm on Mon, Tue, Thu
10am to 5pm on Wed
8.30am to 4.30pm on Fri
9am to midday on Sat for payments

By post
Chesterfield Borough Council
Town Hall
Rose Hill
Chesterfield S40 1LP

Social Media
  • facebook 
  • YouTube
  • flickr
  • E-Mail