Planning Brief for the Former Newbold Community School (Lower Site)
Chesterfield Borough Council has consulted people and groups interested in the development of the former Newbold Community School (Lower site). The council drew up a draft planning brief for the 2ha (5 acre) site which is allocated in the adopted Chesterfield Borough Local Plan for the development of new homes after 2011. The draft brief set out the council’s proposals for the site in accordance with the local plan. It requires any future developer to:
- make up to around a third of homes affordable;
- make sure the site provides homes in a well-designed layout which:
- respects the nearby setting of the Eyre Chapel, the adjacent conservation area and trees and the surrounding area;
- provides good quality open space, a play area and landscaping;
- ensures that people are encouraged to use sustainable transport, by creating good links to walking and cycling routes;
- minimises energy use with good insulation and by generating renewable energy for at least 10% of the homes on the site.
The draft planning brief was made available from Monday November 6th to Monday December 18th for people to make comments. The Council has considered the comments made and has made a significant number of changes. The changes are detailed in the report and appendix, to Cllr Bray (Lead Member for Planning and Asset Management). The changes are also highlighted in the revised planning brief:Report to Lead Member
"The council is keen to let local people have a chance to shape the development of new homes in their area and we would especially like to hear from groups who may feel their voice has not been heard so far, such as younger and older people. The council is very grateful for the many constructive comments and has been able to include the vast majorities of them in the revised planning brief", said Cllr Stuart Bray, the council’s Lead Member for Planning and Asset Management.
Planning Brief Former Newbold Community School Lower Site January 2007