The main collection systems in Chesterfield are listed below:
- black/grey wheeled bin – from most properties these are collected every alternate week
- green wheeled bin – from most properties these are collected on weeks alternate to the black bin
- blue wheeled bin – collected every two weeks on the same day as the green bin
In addition, the following services are also available:
- bulky waste collection – a chargeable collection provided on demand
- clinical waste collection – collection from domestic premises and residential care homes, arranged by healthcare professionals
- sharps box collection – collections made on demand from some households, most boxes should be returned to the surgery/hospital where they were prescribed
General refuse collection information
How do I present my bin?
- At the edge of your property where it meets the kerbside, or a previously agreed point
- Accessible to the collectors – not behind a gate/fence/wall or similar
- Out by 7am on the day of collection
- With the lid fully closed
- Black and green bins with no side waste (this will not be collected)
- Blue bins – extra recycling that will not fit in your bin will be taken if placed neatly at the side on collection day
After we have emptied the bin, please return your bin to your property as soon as possible.
What if I forget to put my bin out?
If your bin is not out it will not be collected. You will normally have to wait until the next due collection. In exceptional circumstances we may return as a one-off.
Why does my lid have to be closed ?
Your bin lid has to be closed for the safety of the collectors. It also helps keep flies and other creatures out of the bin. For more advice on how to manage your waste please read our advice leaflet.
Why can't I present side waste?
If you recycle everything you can using the recycling collections available, you should not create side waste on a regular basis. There is however an exception to this rule. Although we will not take extra bags on green and black collections, the crews will remove all material for recycling even if it is not contained in the wheeled bin. Cardboard should be folded and placed at the side of the bin. If residents have more material for recycling than will fit in the caddy or bin, then carrier bags of material placed at the side of the blue bin on collection day will be removed. Please keep glass separate. If you have extra bags of black or green waste, you can take them to a Household Waste Recycling Centre. There are two in the area: one on Sheffield Road, Stonegravels, and one on Buttermilk Lane, Bolsover.