Coronavirus (COVID-19) - We are now in a national lockdown: stay at home. Find out how it is affecting our services.

Test and Trace Support payments

If you are on a low income, and are asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, you may be entitled to a one-off payment of £500 from the Government's Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme.

Find out:

Who is eligible?

You may be able to claim a Test and Trace Support Payment from us if you are a Chesterfield Borough Council resident* and you meet ALL of the following criteria:

  • you have been notified to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace, (or via the NHS COVID-19 app from 10 December 2020 onwards and you have subsequently registered with NHS Test and Trace), because you have tested positive for COVID-19, or have recently been in close contact with someone that has tested positive
  • you have an 8 character NHS Test and Trace Account ID number
  • you were notified to self-isolate on or after 28 September 2020
  • you comply with the NHS test and Trace notification to self-isolate
  • you are employed or self-employed
  • you are not able to work from home, AND you will lose income as a result of having to stay at home and self-isolate
  • you are receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit, or Pension Credit

If you do not qualify for the main Test and Trace support payment scheme you may be entitled under our discretionary scheme if you:  

  • are in receipt of Council Tax Support
  • have been in receipt of Council Tax Support or one of the qualifying benefits in the last two months
  • made a claim for Council Tax Support or a qualifying benefit before to being asked to self-isolate, but not yet been notified of your award

All claims must be made within 10 days of your self-isolation period ending.

Have you been told to self-isolate by your employer?

Most people who test positive for COVID-19, or are a contact of someone who has had a positive test, will be notified to self isolate by the NHS Test and Trace service or via the COVID-19 app. 

If your employer has asked you to self-isolate (because a colleague has tested positive for COVID-19), they can register you directly with the Contact Tracing Advisory Service (CTAS) by calling 020 3743 6715.

You will then be contacted by NHS Test and Trace and will receive the 8 character code you need to apply for a Test and Trace Support Payment.

If you have been notified to isolate via the COVID-19 app (from 10 December 2020 onwards)

You will need to register with the Contact Tracing Advisory Service (CTAS) to get your NHS Test and Trace Account ID number - this is because the app is anonymous. There is a link in the app, and you must register while you are in your self-isolation period. You cannot request your Account ID after you’ve finished self-isolating. Find out how to register here.

Who is not eligible

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate
  • don’t have an 8 character NHS Test and Trace Account ID number
  • were notified to self isolate before 28 September 2020
  • are not employed or self employed
  • are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 10-day quarantine period)
  • are self-isolating because you or another member of your household have symptoms of COVID-19
  • are unable to work because a child under your care cannot attend school due to an outbreak of COVID-19 
  • continue to receive full wages during your period of self-isolation (for example your employer pays you as normal, or you take holiday entitlement instead of unpaid leave)
  • can work from home during your period of self-isolation

You can not claim if your self-isolation period ended more than 14 days ago.

Information you will need

To apply you will need:

  • your National Insurance Number
  • your most recent bank statement (showing your name and bank details) for the account you ask us to make the payment to
  • if you are employed: 
    • proof of employment such as your most recent wage slip or bank statement showing the wages being paid into your account
    • the name and address of your employer
  • if you are self-employed: 
    • proof of your self-employment, such as your most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment tax returns
  • your 8 character NHS Test and Trace Account ID number - this can be found on the text message or email you were sent by NHS Test and Trace - you can't submit the form without this number (find out how to get this if your were notified to self-isolate by the COVID-19 app).

How to apply

You can make an application online using the form below, and we will ask you to create an account before you claim your payment. Get help if you can't apply online.

We can't process your claim until we have received all the information and evidence we ask for to support your application. Evidence can be uploaded when you apply - we accept electronic copies, scanned images or clear photos of your documents.

You must agree to self-isolate for the required period, if you don't you will be required to pay the funds back and your details may be provided to the police.

You must apply within 14 days of your self-isolation period ending.

We will check that your income will reduce because of self-isolating. If you don't know whether your income will be reduced please check with your employer before claiming, as we want to avoid having to ask you to pay the money back.

Claim a Test and Trace Support Payment

Protecting your privacy - find out how we keep your information safe.

What happens next?

We will check the information you have provided by carrying out checks with the NHS Test and Trace Service, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and with your employer.

If you are successful we aim to make your payment within three working days of receiving your completed application (this includes the evidence we have asked for). We will notify you by email whether your application has been successful or not.

If you have been awarded a payment we will pay it into the bank account your provided on your application. We will also notify HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for tax purposes. 

* If you are not sure who to claim from, you can find your local council here.

Last updated on 18 December 2020