The benefit you get depends on three things:
- the rent and/or Council Tax you pay
- your personal circumstances (for example, your age, how many children you have, whether you are disabled, whether other people live with you)
- your income and savings
If any of these things change it is likely that your benefit will change.
The rules say that every time there is a change, your benefit has to be worked out again. This means that you can get more or less benefit. Extra amounts will be paid to you. Overpayments may be recovered from you.
These are some of the changes the Benefits Section wants to know about:
- if you start or stop getting Income Support or Jobseekers Allowance
- if you start or stop getting Child or Working Tax Credit or any state benefit
- if your income or savings change
- if the number of people living with you or their income changes
- if you move
- if you have a child who leaves school
- if you are a private tenant and your rent changes
- anything else you might think changes your benefit