Tell us what you think about our site...

I am single and under 35

I am single and under 35

Start by reading the rules for under 35s.

Benefit Update Single and Under 35 (pdf 42 KB)

Frequently asked questions

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are the named person liable to pay the rent. If you are a joint tenant, we can also help you with your share of the rent. In some circumstances you can be treated as the liable person, even though you are not the named person on the tenancy agreement. If you are renting from a private landlord, your maximum rent may be limited to the single room rent.

New claims, since 7 April 2008, from tenants of private landlords, fall under the Local Housing Allowance scheme. For more information, click here to be directed to the page about Local Housing Allowance.

You can claim Council Tax Support if you or your partner are the liable person for Council Tax.

Use our online Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support calculator. Please enter all information as accurately as possible. The results of the calculation are only an estimate of the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you are likely to get. To claim benefit you will need to complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support form. These are available from the benefits section.

The benefit you get depends on three things:

  • the rent and/or Council Tax you pay
  • your personal circumstances (for example your age, how many children you have, whether you are disabled, whether other people live with you)
  • your income and savings

If any of these things change it is likely that your benefit will change.

The rules say that every time there is a change, your benefit has to be worked out again. This means that you can get more or less benefit. Extra amounts will be paid to you. Overpayments may be recovered from you.

These are some of the changes the Benefits Section wants to know about:

  • if you start or stop getting Income Support, Jobseekers Allowance or Employment Support Allowance
  • if you start or stop getting Child or Working Tax Credit or any state benefit
  • if your income or savings change
  • if the number of people living with you or their income changes
  • if you move
  • if you have a child who leaves school
  • if you are a private tenant and your rent changes
  • anything else you might think changes your benefit
Benefits Change of Circumstances (pdf 3.03 MB)

If you have received a decision about Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support, you may want to know what you can do if you think it is wrong.

If you think the decision is wrong you can ask us to explain it. If you still think it is wrong after we have explained it to you, we will look at out decision again.

For some decisions, you can appeal to an independent tribunal. They can change the decision if they agree that it is wrong.

There are time limits for asking for decisions to be looked at again and for appealing.

What If Benefits Decision Is Wrong (pdf 61 KB)

We can make Discretionary Housing Payments if we decide someone needs extra help with housing costs. The payments are on top of any Housing Benefit that has been awarded. We only have a certain amount of money to spend on these payments. An application form is enclosed in the document below to help us decide if a discretionary housing payments can be made to you.

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) (pdf 493 KB)

Last updated on 29 September 2017