Tell us what you think about our site...

Make a claim for help with your housing costs or Council Tax

Make a claim for help with your housing costs or Council Tax

I want to claim help towards my housing costs and Council Tax

Working age people not affected by Universal Credit, and people of qualifying age for Pension Credit, who have liability for rent or Council Tax, can make a claim for Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. Your age and circumstances may affect how much help you can get.

We may be able to award Discretionary Housing Payment if you need extra help with your housing costs.

Thinking of moving into accommodation rented from a private landlord?

If you are thinking of moving into a property rented from a private landlord, you can find out how much of your rent could be covered by Housing Benefit. Some elements of your rent charge, such as water rates, heating and lighting, meals and other services are not covered by Housing Benefit. The actual amount of benefit you get may be less than this because of your income and circumstances.

For information on Local Housing Allowance, click here.

You will still need to fill in a separate application form which asks for more details.

Print off the relevant claim form below, or contact us and we can send you one in the post. You can call into our customer service centre for help completing the form or request a home visit if you are unable to come into the office.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form (pdf 826 KB)
Council Tax Support Claim Form (pdf 425 KB)


Complete your form and send it to:

Chesterfield Borough Council
Benefits Section
PO Box 100
85 New Square
S40 1SN

Tel: 01246 345 484 / 345 507
Fax: 01246 345 486
Text: 07960 910 264
Email: or contact us online

Last updated on 11 June 2019