Elder Way public realm improvements
Danaher and Walsh Civil Engineering was appointed by Chesterfield Borough Council to undertake public realm improvement works as part of the Northern Gateway Scheme.
The works took place between January and summer 2021 covering the whole of Elder Way and its junctions with Saltergate and Knifesmithgate.
The improvement of this thoroughfare sits at the heart of the Council’s strategy to revive this part of Chesterfield town centre.
The scheme aimed to bring a new vibrancy to this part of the town centre creating a more attractive environment for users and businesses looking for opportunities to invest in the town centre, whilst also improving pedestrian links with the town’s retail core.
- The reconstruction of existing footways and paved areas with a mix of high-quality paving materials
- Pavement widening
- Taxi rank improvements on Knifesmithgate
- A range of formal and informal pedestrian crossing improvements
- The de-cluttering of the street scene by removing obstacles to pedestrian movement
- The introduction of trees into the street
- Introduction / improved design of loading bays
- New bus shelters and re-positioned bus stops on Elder Way
- New street furniture
- Carriageway resurfacing