Tell us what you think about our site...

Dog boarding establishments

Dog boarding establishments


Licence summary

To operate a dog boarding establishment (kennels) you need a licence from the local authority.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants for a dog boarding establishment licence must not be convicted of any offence under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963, Animal Welfare Act 2006, Protection of Animals Act 1911 or the Pet Animals Act 1952.

A fee, determined by the local authority, will be payable on application.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application evaluation process

Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for dog boarding establishment licence:

  • that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness
  • adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
  • that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
  • that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it.

Apply online

Apply to operate a dog boarding establishment 

Tell us about a change to your existing dog boarding establishment

Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates Court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates Court.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by telephone call or letter.

Other redress

Eg, about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations

Kennel Club

Chartered Institute of Environmental Health

Last updated on 16 October 2017