Land and premises at 6 Ashgate Road, Chesterfield
Residential development opportunity (subject to planning)
Updated with bat survey and ecological appraisal 7 November 2017.
Former Goldwell Rooms car park land and premises
6 Ashgate Road
Derbyshire S40 4AA
Tenure: To be sold freehold with vacant possession
Price: Offers are invited by informal tender in excess of £750,000
Site area: 0.61 hectares (1.5 acres approximately).
The property has a total site area of approximately 1.5 acres (0.61 ha), comprising a large car park and buildings known as 6 Ashgate Road and is available as a whole as shown on the location plan below.
The site is fairly sloping in nature, the car park has been cut into the landscape with a grassed bank to its frontage. Vehicular access is to the West of the site off Ashgate Road and is shared with the adjoining allotment association.
The majority of the site is used as a pay and display car park with floodlighting and CCTV.
The site, as shown edged red on the plan below, is located within a quarter of a mile of the Chesterfield town centre. With access and main road frontage onto Ashgate Road, which leads into Saltergate, this site is conveniently located for town centre amenities.
The property is situated within a predominantly well established residential area of Chesterfield with allotment gardens to the South and West. Commercial occupiers in the immediate vicinity include Shorts Chartered Financial Planners, Ashgate Manor Medical Centre, and Peak Pharmacy.
6 Ashgate Road has vehicular access either side of the building.
The ground floor and first floors are now vacant.
To the rear of the main building there are stores. The stores are single storey, brick construction under a pitched roof. There are roller shutter doors to the front with separate personnel doors. Like the main building, the stores are also now vacant.
Only the car park remains in use at present.
The site will therefore be offered for sale with vacant possession.
Site area and accommodation
Total site area approx 1.5 acres (0.61 ha)
6 Ashgate Road:
- Ground and first floors - 2,363 sq ft (219.5 sqm)
- Basement stores - 1,009 sq ft (93.7 sqm)
Detached stores: 2,533 sq ft (235.5 sqm)
All measurements are approximate and given as guidance only.
It is understood there is a 6.6kv electric cable just inside the eastern boundary and a BT service to 6 Ashgate Road. Service plans are available upon request, but we cannot vouch for their accuracy. Interested parties are recommended to contact the statutory undertakers to satisfy themselves that services are available, suitable and of sufficient capacity for their proposed use.
Car park rateable value £23,250
6 Ashgate Road: ground floor occupation rateable value £13,500
Remaining building and stores rateable value £11,000
For more information in respect of the rating assessments for the land and buildings together with the actual rates payable please contact:
Chesterfield Borough Council
Customer Service Centre
Business Rates Section
PO Box 100
85 New Square
Chesterfield S40 1AH
Telephone: 01246 345138 / 345171
Fax: 01246 345486
- The whole site is allocated for residential use in the Replacement Chesterfield Borough Local Plan (2006) and Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment (2009).
- The site is marketed with the benefit of a detailed planning brief dated May 2015. This indicates that a residential development proposal will be considered. Applicants are strongly recommended to read this document, which forms the council’s planning position on this site.
- The planning brief also suggests the detached stores building at the rear of the site could be cleared but considers that the main building at No 6 Ashgate Road is of local historic interest and provides an attractive street frontage to Ashgate Road. The re-use and redevelopment of 6 Ashgate Road as part of a wider scheme would therefore be encouraged.
A copy of the planning brief is available below. For further information and guidance, please contact Alan Morey Strategic Planning and Key Sites Manager (01246) 345790 email@example.com
Site investigations reports including geo-environmental and gas monitoring have been undertaken by iDGeoEnvironmental together with a topographical survey prepared by Mining Surveys (UK) Ltd.
The site investigations reports and survey information are provided to prospective purchasers for information and guidance to inform the process of calculating offers. On this basis, offers are expected to be made unconditional on such matters as ground conditions.
It is expected that intended purchasers will still need to corroborate the findings of these site investigations and carry out their own investigations as they deem necessary.
Fitness for any purpose or use proposed in relation to the development of the site cannot be guaranteed by Chesterfield Borough Council or its agents, Kier.
Once an offer has been formally accepted, then the successful purchaser would have the authorisation of the council to seek a Letter of Reliance/Collateral Warranty in relation to the site investigations requirements.
The Title is registered under DY462222 in the name of Chesterfield Borough Council. The freehold of the site is to be conveyed as a whole with vacant possession.
Please note the property is to be sold subject to any existing Rights of Way and Easements granted or reserved to third parties.
The Allotment Association has a right of way over the access road off Ashgate. The council’s tenant, Fairplay occupy the former allotments to the South of the site, and have the right to enter the council’s site along part of the Southern boundary to repair its property. Please also note the electricity cable on the eastern boundary, and BT services to 6 Ashgate Road.
Offers are invited with offers in excess of £750,000.
Please note the council has not opted to tax on the land and buildings and therefore VAT is not applicable.
An additional charge of 2% of the sale price will be charged by the Vendor on completion to cover the council’s legal and professional fees incurred in the sale of the property.
The following reports were commissioned by a third party and neither Chesterfield Borough Council nor its agents Kier can give any guarantee or warranty as to the accuracy of the information. We have obtained permission from the third party and their consultants, Encon Associates Limited to use these reports for information purposes on remarketing the site.
Should a prospective buyer wish to use the reports and require full reliance, Encon have advised that they would have to inform their insurance who would charge a nominal fee to transfer reliance from Positive Homes.
Further details and viewings
The site is readily available for viewing from the car park although access to the buildings is to be arranged through prior appointment.
For further enquiries and viewing arrangements please contact:
Linda Martin, Disposals
Kier Asset Management
The site is to be sold by informal tender. Your offer and supporting information should be with us by no later than noon on Tuesday 9 January 2018.
Please submit offers marked ‘Strictly Private and Confidential’ for a fixed and specified sum in writing using the offer form provided to the following address:
F.A.O. Linda Martin, Disposals
Kier Asset Management
There is an envelope label attached to the offer form should you wish to use this.
Offers should not relate to any other offer and should include:
- The offer should specify the amount clearly. Please specify an odd number to avoid identical bids being received.
- Details of the proposed scheme and use including indicative drawings.
- The name and address of the purchaser, with a summary of track record.
- Proof that the offer is backed by a satisfactory financial reference, and that the applicant has the funds to proceed to complete the purchase for the amount offered.
- Any conditions relating to the offer eg, valuation, survey, planning.
- Proposed timescales to include exchange of contracts from receipt of draft documentation through to completion.
- Solicitor’s details to include name of company, full address, telephone, email and contact name.
Please note that the Chesterfield Borough Council is not covenanted to accept the highest or indeed any offer received. The successful bid will be subject to formal council approval and contract.
- No person in the employment of Chesterfield Borough Council or Kier Asset Management has authority to make or give representations or warranties whatsoever in relation to the property.
- All statements contained within these particulars have been provided in good faith and are understood to be correct. However, they are provided as a general outline only for the guidance of intended purchasers or tenants. Accuracy in respect of all statements cannot be guaranteed and the particulars do not form part of any offer, contract or warranty.
- Whilst every effort is made to ensure all descriptions, dimensions, reference to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation and other details are accurate intending purchasers or tenants should not rely upon them as statements or representations of fact and should satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them.
- Whilst every effort has been made to ensure accuracy in the presentation of these particulars, prospective purchasers should satisfy themselves that these particulars are still valid.
- Interested parties are recommended to check the existence, suitability and availability of all services.
Plans included are not necessarily to scale and are for identification purposes only.