Memories are so important to who we are, and our memory boxes are a wonderful way of reminding people about their past.
Our carefully selected memory boxes have been created to encourage people to rekindle memories and talk about their lives. They are available to loan from our museum on a weekly basis and can provide a more interactive, and personal way, to explore the past.
We’ve made a series of short videos to exhibit these boxes and their fascinating contents which show how they can be used as tools for prompting reflection.
This can be a great help to people who are living with dementia, and we have received positive feedback from care homes who have used our memory box videos to engage, support, and share countless memories.
The list below shows the wide variety of topics that our memory boxes cover:
- Dressed to impress - memories of dressing up and going out
- Going shopping - good for reminiscing about buying food in local shops
- Holidays - memories or holidays at the seaside and abroad
- In the garden - rekindling memories of time spent outdoors
- In the kitchen - memories of home cooking
- Our working life - recall time at work including local companies
- Sweet dreams - remembering magical moment at the sweet shop
- The royal box - memories of royal events
- The swinging sixties - music and fashion from the 1960s
- Time for tea - memories of teatime with the family
- Us kids - childhood memories
- What we did for fun - hobbies, pastimes and recreation
Memory boxes are available to hire at £30 per week; conditions of use apply.
Bookings should be made as far in advance as possible with popular boxes often being booked up many months in advance.
Hiring a memory box
To hire a memory box please make a reservation online, a member of the visitor information team will contact you to take your payment.
You can reserve a memory box through your My Chesterfield account, so that you can keep track of your booking.
If you don't already have an account signing up is quick and easy. We just need to know your name and address, your phone number and your email address.
Register for My Chesterfield account here.
If you don't want to sign-up for a My Chesterfield account you can:
Protecting your privacy - find out how we keep your information safe.
If you have any ideas of themes for future memory boxes please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, call us on 01246 345727 or email email@example.com.