Chesterfield Royal Hospital donations box
Before the National Health Service was created in 1948, patients were generally required to pay for their health care. Free treatment was sometimes available from Voluntary Hospitals and some local authorities operated hospitals for local ratepayers, under a system originating with the Poor Law.
This money box dates from a time when hospital treatment was not free and relied on donations. Chesterfield’s Royal Hospital on Durrant Road (now Holywell Street) was given £10,000 from the Chairman of Staveley Iron & Steel Company to fund ‘Staveley Ward’ and a £10,000 legacy from a Mr. T. Murphy enabled the creation of ‘Murphy Ward’. Although the hospital service moved to Calow in 1984 and became Chesterfield & North Derbyshire Royal Hospital, these ward names are still in use today.
The Queen opened the new hospital in 1985 and in 1989 the maternity service was the last to move from the old site. Following the opening of this new unit the old hospital in the town centre was finally closed. The hospital chose to name the unit ‘Scarsdale Wing’ in honour of the old maternity hospital.