EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPolishChinese (Simplified)SpanishUrdu

August - School cap worn at Chesterfield Grammar School (1920s)

August - School cap worn at Chesterfield Grammar School (1920s)

School cap worn at Chesterfield Grammar School (1920s)

Chesterfield Grammar School was first established in 1598 following the creation of Chesterfield Borough Council making it one of the earliest and became one of the leading schools in the country during the 17th and 18th centuries.

The funding for the original school was kindly provided by Sir Godfrey Foljambe in his will for the use of ‘teaching and instruction of children’ within Chesterfield town and later benefactors included the likes of James Lingard, Thomas Large, the Heathcote family and Cornelius Clark.

The two main contributors to the school, Foljambe and Clark are represented in the two halves of the school shield as seen on the front of the cap and the green ring round the top was an indicator of which of the five school houses the wearer belonged to.

The rest of the uniform consisted of socks and shorts or trousers, a wide-collared shirt, a jumper, a tie and a blazer.

The school closed in 1991 due to reorganisation of the schools in the district but remains and integral part of not only Chesterfield’s history but also the history of the nation thanks to some of the great figures who were former pupils. These include Sir Robert Robinson, Erasmus Darwin (grandfather of Charles Darwin) and Thomas Secker (the Archbishop of Canterbury 1758-1768).


Last updated on 01 August 2023