EnglishFrenchGermanItalianPolishChinese (Simplified)SpanishUrdu

September - Commemorative silver shovel used at the dedication of Queen's Park (1887)

September - Commemorative silver shovel used at the dedication of Queen's Park (1887)

Commemorative silver shovel used at the dedication of Queen's Park (1887)

Queen’s Park is Chesterfield’s oldest public park and was built to commemorate Queen Victoria’s golden jubilee which took place in 1887 and to help ease the overcrowding in the centre of the town.

Alderman Thomas Philpot Wood (who was the mayor of the borough in 1873, 1886 and 1887) was the driving force behind the project and donated £500 towards the park funds, which along with the other £3500, was used to purchase the approximate 7 hectares of land on which the park facilities now reside.