Coronavirus (COVID-19) - how it is affecting our services

Food premises registration

Food premises registration


To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with the local authority. Premises include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Food Standards Agency (meat hygiene), rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, contact your local authority.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period


No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Print or download a registration form here

Food premises registration form PDF (PDF 180 KB)
Alternatively you can apply through the Central Government Registration Scheme below.

Tell us about a change to your existing food business establishment
Failed application redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your local authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice will give you consumer advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Eg, about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Trade associations

Chilled Food Association

National Craft Butchers

Northern Ireland Food and Drink Association (NIFDA)

Scottish Food and Drink Federation (SFDF)

Last updated on 01 July 2020