We are registered under the Data Protection Act 1998 and will comply with this legislation, so any personal data that you supply to us will be used for the purpose indicated on the relevant section of the website and to assist the council in providing services to you.
The information we hold about you is confidential and will only be disclosed to a third party outside Chesterfield Borough Council at your request or with your consent, or in order to investigate or prevent fraud or if the law permits it or it is in the public interest or where it is necessary to allow an authorised third party working for or on behalf of the council to perform or provide the functions or services which the personal information is relevant to. Your information will not be sold to any other company.
We carefully protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Appropriate technical and organisational measures are in place to protect your data.
Collection and processing of personal data
Personal data is information that can be used to identify you, such as your name, postal address or email address. By completing an on-line employment application, you consent to the collection, processing and use of your personal data. Your personal data will be processed to consider your application for employment, and, if you are hired for a position with us, the information you provide to us in your employment application and candidate profile may be used as a part of our on-boarding and human resources information management processes.
Depending on the position for which you are applying, a pre-employment background checks may be required. We comply with all legislation in relation to pre-employment background checks.
Categories of data processed
If you are applying for a position with us, we will process the following types of information about you:
- Personal details, such as name, date of birth, occupation, country of residence and national insurance or number, or equivalent;
- Contact details for your work and personal details, such as email address, postal address and/or telephone number;
- Identification documentation, such as a photocopy of your passport, driving license, ID card or other documentation required by law. Copies of these documents may include a photograph of your face and shoulders;
- Information necessary to comply with equalities legislation which may include sensitive data; and
- Other information you provide to us through our recruitment process.
If you are a current employee of ours, we may collect the following information about you as a part of our human resources management:
- Your name, work email address and other work contact details;
- Your role, position or job title within your employment;
- In some circumstances, identification documentation, such as a photocopy of your passport,
- Driving license, ID card or other documentation required by law. Copies of these documents may include a photograph of your face and shoulders;
- Information necessary to comply with equalities legislation which may include sensitive data;
- HR related records, such as training, performance assessments, absence and time-keeping records, disciplinary, grievance or capability proceedings, background checks; and
- Details of your access to our premises and to systems, software, and websites.
Accuracy and completeness
We make every effort to maintain the accuracy and completeness of your personal information. However, you can assist us with this considerably by keeping your details up to date and by promptly contacting us if there are any changes to your personal information or if you become aware that we have inaccurate personal information relating to you.
How we use your personal data
We may process your personal data for any of the following purposes:
- To consider your suitability for any of our current or future employment opportunities and to confirm your references and educational background;
- For general human resources administration, including payroll and benefits, training and development, performance management, sickness and absence management, grievance and disciplinary procedures, equal opportunities monitoring, business continuity planning;
- For internal finance management, including expenses reimbursement, travel and time- keeping;
- For monitoring and assessing compliance with our policies and standards;
- For administrative purposes in relation to the security and access of our systems, premises, platforms and secured websites;
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and requests, including reporting to and/or being audited by regulatory, enforcement bodies; and
- To comply with court orders and exercise and/ or defend our legal rights.
When we may disclose your personal data
We do not and will not sell, rent or trade your personal data. We will only disclose your personal data in the ways set out in this privacy statement as follows:
- To third parties providing services on behalf of the council for employment related purposes;
- To third parties who process your personal data on our behalf (such as our systems, background checks or employee payroll providers); and
- To any regulatory, enforcement or exchange body or court where we are required to do so by law or regulation.
How long we maintain your personal data
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose for which it was collected or to comply with legal, regulatory or internal policy requirements.
How we update or change this privacy statement
We may change or update parts of this privacy statement in order to maintain our compliance with legislation and regulation or following an update to our internal practices. We will do this by updating the wording on this webpage and updating the publication date at the top of this page, although, please be aware, you will not necessarily be directly notified of such a change. Therefore, please ensure that you regularly check this privacy statement so you are fully aware of any changes or updates.
If you wish to contact the council online about your information rights including subject access requests, the processing of personal data, information sharing, disclosure, retention, rectification, or information security, please contact us online.
If you wish to discuss this privacy notice or have any specific questions on data protection contact our information assurance manager on 01246 345345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.