Chesterfield Borough Council tenants are encouraged to take part in a consultation on the terms of their tenancy which will bring them into line with other housing providers.
Currently tenants have to contact the council’s housing repairs service for minor repairs including changing lightbulbs or resetting switches. Under the proposed changes, they will now be expected to carry out minor works such as these for themselves.
A change is also proposed that routine maintenance work will be carried out within 30 days of it being reported rather than 20 as at present. Emergency repairs such as homes without water or heating are not affected by the change – these will continue to be dealt with as soon as possible.
Other proposed changes include:
- From 1 April, tenants will pay their water rates directly to Severn Trent Water rather than paying them to the council – although they will still pay their rent and other charges to the council
- Tenants will pay their housing rent over 52 weeks rather than over 48 weeks as at present.
Councillor Helen Bagley, Chesterfield Borough Council’s cabinet member for homes and customers, said: “The proposed changes to the tenancy agreements for our tenants would see some changes for our residents, including allowing them to carry out some minor repairs for themselves such as using a plunger or sink un-blocker liquid to clear a blocked sink – we would not expect them to touch the pipework.
“Moving to carrying out routine repair work over 30 days will bring us into line with other housing providers in the area. Without changes such as these we would not be able to make savings and be able to continue to invest in our homes such as new heating, bathrooms or kitchens. Emergency repairs will be unaffected by the proposed changes.”
“I’d encourage all our residents to take part and let us have their views before the consultation ends on 3 December.”
Consultation events will take place at the following dates and times:
- Thursday 19 October 10am to 12.30pm: Burns Close Community Room, Grangewood, S40 2SW
- Thursday 19 October 2pm to 4.30pm: Boythorpe Community Centre, Hunloke Avenue, S40 2PD
- Monday 23 October 2.30pm to 4.30pm: Hasland Village Hall, Eastwood Park, S41 0AY
- Wednesday 25 October 10am to 12.30pm: Wimborne Crescent Community Room, Pevensey, S41 8PT
- Wednesday 25 October 2pm to 4.30pm: Stand Road Park Pavilion, Racecourse, S41 8SR
- Thursday 26 October 10am to 12.30pm: Bonsall Court Community Room, Bowness Road, Newbold, S41 8AW
- Thursday 26 October 2pm to 4.30pm: Outwood Acadamy, Highfield Lane, Peveril, S41 8BA
- Tuesday 31 October 4pm to 6.30pm: Gussie’s Kitchen, St Augustine’s Church, St Augustine’s Road, S40 2EP
- Thursday 2 November 4pm to 7.30pm: Assembly Rooms, Market Hall, Chesterfield Town Centre, S40 1AR
- Friday 3 November 11am to 1.30pm: Poolsbrook Community Centre, Social Club, Cottage Close, S43 3LP
- Tuesday 7 November 4pm to 7.30pm: Speedwell Rooms, Inkersall Road, Staveley, S43 3JL
- Wednesday 8 November 11am to 1.30pm: Brimington Community Centre, Heywood Street, S43 1DB
- Thursday 9 November 10am to 12.30pm: Old Whittington Resource Centre, Social Club, Station Lane, S41 9NL
- Thursday 9 November 2pm to 4.30pm: St Patrick’s Church Hall, 98 High Street, New Whittington, S43 2AZ
- Tuesday 14 November 10am to 12.30pm: Loundsley Green Community Centre, Cuttholme Road, S40 4QU
- Tuesday 14 November 2pm to 4.30pm: Holmebrook Family Centre, Wardgate Way, Holme Hall, S40 4SL
- Thursday 16 November 2pm to 4.30pm: St Mark’s Church, St Mark’s Road, Brampton, S40 1DH
- Tuesday 21 November 10am to 12.30pm: Monkwood Road Community Room, Dunston, S41 8DG
- Tuesday 21 November 2pm to 4.30pm: Eventide Rest Room, Cherry Tree Grove, Mastin Moor, S43 3AP
- Thursday 23 November 10am to 12.30pm: Winster Court Community Room, Newland Dale, Stonegravels, S41 7QJ
- Thursday 23 November 2pm to 4.30pm: Barrow Hill Methodist Church, Cavendish Place S43 2NB (new location)
- Tuesday 28 November 10am to 12.30pm: Inkersall Methodist Church, Summerskill Green, S43 3SR
- Tuesday 28 November 2pm to 4.30pm: Markham Court Communal Room, Duckmanton Road, Duckmanton, S44 5HH
For more information, visit the tenancy consultation section of our website