Tell us what you think about our site...


Council warning after benefit fraud case

photo of Magistrates' Court exterior

People claiming benefits in Chesterfield are being reminded to tell Chesterfield Borough Council about any changes that could affect their benefits.

This comes after Chesterfield woman Lisa Aitken, 29, who lives in St John's Road in Newbold, was ordered to pay £300 by magistrates after claiming money she wasn't entitled to.

Aitken claimed a total of £4,011.59 after failing to tell the council about a rise in her wages and also did not declare temporary work carried out by her husband.

At a hearing at the Northern Derbyshire Magistrates' Court on 6 January, magistrates gave Aitken a £180 fine and ordered her to pay £100 in costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

Councillor Ken Huckle, Chesterfield Borough Council's cabinet member for business transformation, said: "Council Tax Support and housing benefit are worked out by how much money is coming into a household.

"If there are any changes that affect how much money is coming in to the house – such as a change in job, wages or change of partner, it is important that you let us know as soon as possible."

Changes in circumstances that can affect benefit payments include:

  • rent changes
  • you or your partner start work, or take an extra job
  • you or your partner change jobs
  • a new baby arrives
  • a child leaves school or moves out
  • someone comes to live with you or moves out
  • you or your partner's income goes up or down
  • Tax Credit changes
  • your or your partner's capital or savings go up or down
  • benefits from the Department for Work and Pension stop or start, especially Income Support and Job Seeker's Allowance
  • someone goes into hospital
  • income changes of others in the household
  • change of address

To report changes, email, call 01246 345 484 or 345 507 or call into the council's Customer Service Centre in New Square.

First published on 08 January 2016 Last updated on 31 October 2016