Councillor Tricia Gilby has become the new leader of Chesterfield Borough Council, with Councillor Amanda Serjeant appointed as deputy leader.
Councillor Gilby is the first woman leader in the council’s 44-year history and the pair will also become the first all-female leadership team.
Both were formally confirmed in post after the council’s previous leader Councillor John Burrows decided to retire from his role and Councillor Terry Gilby, also stepped down from his position as deputy leader.
Councillor Tricia Gilby said: “I am very proud to be the first woman leader of the council and also to form part of the first female leadership team with Amanda.
“Councillor John Burrows has been a fantastic public servant to Chesterfield over the years but has decided now is the time to step back from a frontline role. He and Councillor Terry Gilby made a strong team so they will be a tough act to follow.
“While we have new ideas of our own we intend to build on the solid foundations that they have created so our approach will be one of evolution rather than revolution.
“We are committed to delivering the final two years of our four-year Council Plan, which sets out what we want to do as a council.
“We are looking forward to working with the council’s staff on delivering its three key objectives, which are: to make Chesterfield a thriving borough, improve the quality of life for local people and deliver value for money services.”
Councillor John Burrows, the previous leader, will step down from a frontline role but continue as a ward councillor for Brimington North, as well as being chair of the council’s employment and general committee.
Councillor Terry Gilby will remain a cabinet member but take up the economic growth portfolio as part of a new look cabinet team that was also confirmed at the meeting.
The other change sees Councillor Steve Brunt join as cabinet member for town centres and visitor economy following the completion of his year as mayor.
The full cabinet is:
- Leader – Councillor Tricia Gilby
- Deputy leader – Councillor Amanda Serjeant
- Cabinet member for economic growth – Councillor Terry Gilby
- Cabinet member for town centres and visitor economy – Councillor Steve Brunt
- Cabinet member for health and wellbeing – Councillor Chris Ludlow
- Cabinet member for homes and customers – Councillor Helen Bagley
- Cabinet member for governance – Councillor Sharon Blank
- Cabinet member for business transformation – Councillor Ken Huckle
- Assistant cabinet members (special projects) – Councillors Ray Catt, Jean Innes and John Dickinson.
- Cabinet member without portfolio – Councillor Alexis Diouf (leader of the Liberal Democrats)
The changes were all confirmed at the council’s annual business meeting last night (Wednesday 26 April).
Chesterfield Borough Council’s Council Plan can be seen at www.chesterfield.gov.uk/councilplan