Residents and local businesses have the opportunity to take part in a consultation on measures to curb anti-social behaviour in Chesterfield town centre.
The consultation, run by Chesterfield Borough Council, is open until Monday 25 September and gives people the chance to have their say on the Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs) the council plans to introduce in areas of the town centre.
Currently, anyone found drinking alcohol in Chesterfield town centre can be required to hand this over to an authorised officer or police officer. The new laws would require anyone drinking to hand over alcohol opened or unopened.
The new rules would also:
- Ban positioning or occupying any tent or other temporary structure without the landowner’s permission
- Ban any activity or behaviour causing nuisance, alarm, harassment or distress to any other person
- Ban loitering around cash machines, shopping centre entrances, shop entrances or car park ticket and payment machines for the purposes of begging
- Ban urinating or defecating other than in a facility specifically designed for such use – i.e. in public toilets
- Ban leaving unattended any personal effects or belongings or any other material or paraphernalia.
Councillor Chris Ludlow, Chesterfield Borough Council’s cabinet member for health and wellbeing, said: “We are aware that anti-social behaviour is a problem in the town centre which is why we are working with the police and partners to introduce measures to curb anti-social behaviour and make it a safer place for people to work and visit.
“The council recently co-hosted a summit with the Police and Crime Commissioner, Hardyal Dhindsa to look at anti-social behaviour issues in the town centre. Partners agreed to focus on enforcement, treatment and support, and welfare policies.
“I would encourage people to take part and let us have their views.”
The consultation is available to complete here: Consultation on proposals to tackle anti-social behaviour in Chesterfield town centre.
Paper copies will be available at:
- Chesterfield Town Hall, Rose Hill
- Customer Service Centre, New Square
- Queen’s Park Sports Centre
- The Healthy Living Centre, Staveley
- Chesterfield Library.