Nominations are now open for the third annual Chesterfield Retail Awards, organised by Destination Chesterfield.
People can nominate across 15 categories, which are designed to recognise the very best independent and high street retailers in Chesterfield. Everyone who nominates will automatically be entered into a free prize draw to win a three-course Sunday lunch at Chesterfield’s Restaurant of the Year, Cocina at Casa.
Dom Stevens, Destination Chesterfield Manager, said: "Chesterfield has an amazing wealth of retailers that combine to make us one of the top performing towns in the country. Together they bring people into Chesterfield and help create a buzz and warm welcome that people from outside the area frequently comment on and keep coming back for. If you feel strongly that your favourite shops and stores deserve to win one of these prestigious awards, then it’s important that you nominate them. As they say, you have to be in it to win it."
Organised in association with Chesterfield College, the winners will be announced at an awards ceremony at the Winding Wheel in May 2016. As well as winners of the 15 categories, winners of two additional awards – the Vicar Lane Shopping Centre and the Pavements Shopping Centre Retailers of the Year – will also be announced.
Stuart Cutforth, Principal of Chesterfield College said: "We are delighted to sponsor the retail awards this year and look forward to celebrating with the businesses and individuals that contribute to making what is unique and special about our local retail offer. It is a fantastic opportunity to raise the profile of the businesses that add to our economy in so many ways. Not only do they give us our retail therapy, they provide goods and services we can’t do without and they also offer employment to many."
Last year Ibbotson’s Fresh Quality Produce took the coveted titles of Retailer of the Year and Market Trader of the Year following nominations from the public. The family business, which has been a familiar sight on Chesterfield’s market for more than 70 years, has transformed itself in the last 18 months with the addition of an online delivery service to complement its market stall and shop in Hasland.
Owner Nick Ibbotson said: "It was amazing to win two awards and particularly special to get overall Retailer of the Year Award. Although we’re just a little fruit and veg stall that’s been in the centre of Chesterfield, we have worked hard to modernise the business and secure its future with the addition of our online delivery service. It’s going really well and has transformed the business."
Nominations are open until midnight on Sunday 6 March 2016. To nominate your favourite retailer visit www.chesterfield.co.uk/retailawards/nominate.
The 15 categories open for nominations in the 2016 Chesterfield Retail Awards are:
- Hair and Beauty Business of the Year – Sponsored by Chesterfield College
- Fashion and Footwear Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by In the Works PR
- Jewellery and Accessories Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by the Pavements Shopping Centre
- Home and Gifts Retailer of the Year
- Children's Clothes, Toys & Accessories Retailer of the Year
- Food and Drink Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by BHP Accountants
- Phones and Technology Retailer of the Year – Mitchells Chartered Accountants and Business Advisers
- Leisure Retailer of the Year (Sports, Hobbies, Crafts or Outdoor)
- Market Trader of the Year – Sponsored by Chesterfield Borough Council
- Independent Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by Jumble Design
- National/Multiple Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by Vicar Lane
- Excellence in Customer Service – Sponsored by Chatsworth
- Market Hall Business of the Year
- Best New Store (Opened 2015/2016) – Sponsored by Banner Jones Solicitors
- Retailer of the Year – Sponsored by East Midlands Chamber
The awards are supported by members of the business community, who have not only sponsored individual awards but also the actual ceremony later this year. As well as the category sponsors, other supporters of the 2016 Chesterfield Retail Awards include eBusiness Works and the Derbyshire Times.
If you are interested in sponsoring the 2016 Chesterfield Retail Awards, please visit