Coronavirus (COVID-19) roadmap - Find out how it is affecting our services.


Tenants encouraged to take our home contents insurance

Would you replace your precious possessions if your home was burgled or you had a burst pipe? Or, if you had a fire in your home, could you afford to replace your furniture out of your own pocket?

We never think it will happen to us, but accidents in the home do happen and dealing with the damage can cost a lot of money. We therefore strongly advise our tenants to insure the contents of their home by taking out home contents insurance.

From as little as 40p a week, the council offers a home contents insurance scheme for its tenants and for an additional premium you can also insure against accidental damage to your possessions. The scheme is very easy to join – you can just call 01246 345467 or email for more information.

Payments for the insurance are made weekly with your rent. Please remember - if you have arranged your household insurance through the council, your insurance policy may be cancelled if your rent account goes into arrears.

Please note - the council is not responsible for insuring your personal belongings or furniture – it is your responsibility to take out home contents insurance.

Please be aware that the council is under no obligation to provide compensation or financial assistance in the event of an accident, disaster or theft from your home.

 Find out more about home contents insurance.

Tenants are also reminded to check their smoke alarms regularly. This is the easiest way to protect your home and family from fire is with a smoke alarm. More information on smoke alarms is available from Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service.

First published on 31 August 2021 Last updated on 14 September 2021