Coronavirus (COVID-19) - how it is affecting our services

Anti-social behaviour involving council tenants

Anti-social behaviour involving council tenants

  • Coronavirus (COVID-19):

    Due to the coronavirus outbreak, the best method to contact the neighbourhoods team about anti-social behaviour involving council tenants is by email.

Our tenancy management officers provide a specialist response to serious anti-social behaviour committed by one of our tenants. 

We may also get involved where anti-social behaviour is committed by someone that is not a council tenant, but their behaviour affects a council tenant in or near their home.

Our policy below describes why we are involved in dealing with anti-social behaviour and our general approach; you can also see how we respond to anti-social behaviour in our information and procedures:

Housing services anti-social behaviour policy 2019 PDF (PDF 131 KB)
Housing services anti-social behaviour information and procedures PDF (PDF 126 KB)

Our tenancy and estates management service standards include information about how we respond to, and work to prevent, anti-social behaviour on our estates:

Service standards - tenancy and estate management 2018 PDF (PDF 49 KB)

What we can do

The guides below show the legal action we can take against people that are:

  • council tenants that are involved in anti-social behaviour
  • not council tenants, but are involved in anti-social behaviour that affects our tenants.
Anti-social behaviour - legal action against council tenants PDF (PDF 109 KB)
Anti-social behaviour - legal action against non-council tenants PDF (PDF 88 KB)

Find out how we deal with incidents of hate crime, and how you can be a considerate neighbour

How we can help

Please tell us as soon as you have a problem – the sooner we know, the sooner we can help:

Phone: 01246 345071


Text: 07960 910264

Write to us:

Neighbourhoods team
Stonegravels Depot
Old Brick Works Lane
S41 7LF

The neighbourhoods team is available:

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday: 8.30am to 5pm
Wednesday: 10am to 5pm
Friday: 8.30am to 4.30pm

What other help can you get?

You can get advice from other organisations, including:

Chesterfield Citizens' Advice Bureau

Derbyshire Law Centre


  • Non-emergency enquiries: call 101
  • In an emergency call 999 or 112. 
  • Text phone (if you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impediment): 18001 101

Websites for victims of hate incidents and hate crime

If you are a victim of hate crime you can get help and report the problem on the True Vision website

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau website also provides helpful information and links to advice about hate crime.

Last updated on 17 April 2020