Information about properties on Rufford Close
Important information for residents of Rufford Close, and areas close by, in Chesterfield.
What is the problem?
Investigations have recently been carried out, on behalf of Chesterfield Borough Council, with regard to the source and extent of a possible spontaneous combustion event suspected beneath the properties at 1 to 4 Rufford Close.
Investigations indicate there is a spontaneous combustion event occurring within the vicinity of the excavated area of coal beneath plots 1 and 2 Rufford Close.
What will be done about it?
The burning material needs to be removed and the remaining coal seam appropriately sealed. In order to carry out these works it will be necessary to demolish plots 1, 2, 3 and 4 Rufford Close and remove waste material as appropriate.
- a works site will be established with entry off the access road for Boythorpe Cemetery accessed from Boythorpe Crescent
- there will be a 2.5m hoarding around the boundary of the site before the works start
- There will be a site cabin and storage area within the garden of plots 3 and 4 Rufford Close.
- the task will be to excavate and remove all necessary materials in covered lorries
- dust suppression will take place throughout material extraction but there may be visible signs of dust and smoke during the works which may affect properties in the immediate vicinity
- there will be increased heavy traffic on Boythorpe Crescent
- a security guard will be on duty when site is not active.
When will this take place?
The works will be undertaken as a matter of urgency and are expected to last for six to eight weeks.
Should I be concerned?
No – this information is only to advise you that works will be taking place and that there will be increased levels of traffic and possible emission of amounts of smoke and dust during the works.
Where can I find out more?
Please contact Vanessa Watson from Chesterfield Borough Council on 07967 692777.