The handyvan scheme can carry out small works to prevent accidents or falls in the homes of vulnerable older and disabled people living in Chesterfield.
The scheme, which is part of the Derbyshire Handyvan network, has been developed in partnership with Derbyshire Social Services, Chesterfield Borough Council and the Fire Service, and is open to those who are 60 and over or referred by the Home Improvement Service, by the Fire Service, Social Services, the Police or Chesterfield Borough Council.
The Handy Van service is FREE. However, you will have to pay for any materials (such as key safes, shelving, curtain poles etc) which are additional to the smoke alarms, security measures, safety measures already provided from the service.
Eligibility for the scheme
The scheme is targeted at people who fall into one or more of the following categories:
- over 60 years of age
- disabled or with other specific health problems that cause difficulty in managing normal tasks
- no close family members or support who can do or arrange the work for you
- at risk within the home, ie, no smoke alarms, no home security, at risk of falls
Types of jobs covered
- Home fire safety checks
- Smoke alarms fitted
- Home security checks
- Energy efficiency advice
- Practical tasks such as changing light bulbs, securing carpets and rugs, taking down or putting up curtains, moving small items of furniture, mending fuses, etc.
- Fitting key safes, security measures, energy efficency measures
Types of jobs NOT covered – sorry!
- Electrical or plumbing installations
The service will also with your permission make referrals to our partners for additional services that may benefit you such as Telecare.
Each household is entitled to access the free service twice a year.
For more information or to make a request for the handyperson scheme:
The service available Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
The Handy van scheme is not an emergency service. For plumbing or electrical problems please contact the appropriate organisation for your area. A list of qualified local contractors can also be found on Derbyshire County Council’s Trusted Trader pages or telephone Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.