Gas safe charity funding scheme
Gas Appliance Safety
When did you last have the gas appliances in your home checked? Gas appliances should be safety checked every year and serviced according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Any appliance left unchecked could leave you at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s an extremely good idea to have your gas pipework inspected at the same time as having a gas safety check, every year.
If you are a private landlord or private tenant further advice relating to gas safety can be found at: Gas Safe Register website.
If you notice any of the following warning signs, you should get your appliance checked by a Gas Safe registered contractor as soon as possible:
- the gas appliance is not working properly
- the appliance is burning with a lazy yellow flame rather than a crisp blue one
- black marks or stains are evident around the gas appliance
- the pilot light keeps going out
- there is increased condensation in the room
Find out more information about to gas safety within the home can be found on the gas safety in the home.
Gas appliance safety grants
Chesterfield Borough Council has funding from the Foundations Independent Living Trust, which works in partnership with the Gas Safe Charity, to provide small grants for servicing and repairs of gas appliances within your property.
Who can apply?
All clients must live in privately owned accommodation and be:
- 60 years old or over and have low household income and/or a disability
- under 60 and have a low household income and/or a disability or
- considered exceptionally vulnerable by the council (you will need to provide a brief explanation)
Eligible people can get financial help towards the cost of servicing gas appliances, like fires and cookers, and heating systems in their homes. Funding can also pay for minor repair work which is needed to enable them to continue using gas appliances in their home safely.
Eligible people are entitled to make one application per year.
How to apply
Please contact the Private Sector Housing Team on:
Phone: 01246 345748