Tell us what you think about our site...

Home improvement service

Home improvement service

Chesterfield Borough Council operates an in-house Home Improvement Service (HIS) within Housing Services.

What does the Home Improvement Service do?

The aim of the agency is to improve people's living conditions, help to enhance health and quality of life and enable people to remain in their own home, or to return home following their discharge from hospital or other institutional care.

The core work of the HIS is to help people who are vulnerable (older, disabled and/or living on a low income) to repair, improve or adapt unfit or unsuitable homes, and improve their feeling of safety and security. The HIS also provides on-site advice for older people wishing to move home.

The HIS provides a comprehensive service to help people through the whole process of carrying out work to their homes, including the provision of on-site advice and practical assistance, as well as help in identifying and securing funds from various means (this could be through council assistance, clients own resources and other sources). 

Find out more about the availability of financial assistance.

Home security work

To help reduce distraction burglaries and victimisation of vulnerable households, HIS staff have been trained by Derbyshire Police to carry out home security assessments and can arrange for the fitting of free minor security measures such as door chains, window locks and small door alarms as required. For more information please call 01246 345 748.

Fire safety work

All HIS staff have had training with the Fire Service and can carry out Home Fire Risk Assessments and arrange for the fitting of smoke alarms.

Aids and adaptations (disabled facilities grants)

For older and disabled people, the HIS also has a Safety Equipment Advice scheme targeted at preventing falls in the home. Through this scheme people maybe entitled to benefit from aids such as slip resistant bath or shower mats, reachers, jar openers, and the fitting of safety rails in the home. If you require more major long term assistance and adaptation, please contact Derbyshire County Council at Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190.

Call Derbyshire is open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9.30am to 4pm Saturdays. You can also contact Call Derbyshire by text, fax or minicom:

  • Text: 86555
  • Fax: 01629 533 295
  • Minicom: 01629 533 240

Find out about adaptations for private properties on the Derbyshire County Council website.

If you are a council tenant and require adaptations, take a look at our adaptations page.

Handy Van scheme

The Handy Van service provides practical support services for older and disabled people in their home, including accident prevention measures and minor repairs. 

More information on the Handy Van scheme.

Energy advice work

The HIS, working with the Energy Advice Service, also provides services aimed at improving the energy efficiency of all homes to reduce heating bills and work toward eradicating fuel poverty. Our staff can carry out free energy surveys and recommend improvements that could improve the warmth of your home and save money on heating costs.


Help maybe available for home owners and private tenants for:

  • cavity wall insulation
  • loft insulation

The council is also exploring opportunities for carrying out external solid wall insulation in hard-to-treat homes.

The Green Deal and Energy Company Obligations (from Jan 28 2013)

The Green Deal will provide householders with the upfront capital to carry out home energy efficiency improvements and repay through their energy bill. The charge will be attached to the electricity meter and will remain with the property when there are new occupants. The Golden Rule will make sure that any charge attached must be less than the expected savings from the energy saving improvements.

Together with the Green Deal will be the Energy Company Obligation (ECO). ECO has been designed to fit within the Green Deal framework and provide support where Green Deal finance alone is not enough. The ECO is likely to make improvements such as solid wall insulation much more affordable.

For more details on any energy scheme, the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 will provide impartial advice on you options.

Council and Housing Association tenants wishing to report repairs or seeking energy efficiency advice should contact their landlord.

Links to related websites

Find out more about the work of Home Improvement Agencies.

Find out more about the work of the Community Safety Partnership.

Read guidance on fire safety in the home.

For more energy efficiency advice for your home, please visit the Energy Saving Trust website at or the National Energy Action site at

The National Home Improvement Council (NHIC) believe in higher standards of materials and workmanship, backing this with codes of practice, guarantees and warranties.

Last updated on 06 September 2019