Tell us what you think about our site...

Duty of care

Duty of care


If you are a householder and you are asking someone to take your waste away for you, then you MUST check to see if they are properly licensed to do so. Otherwise you could face prosecution if your waste is found to be fly tipped. You can do this by asking to see their waste carriers certificate or by contacting the Environment Agency on 08708 506 506 or by visiting the Environment Agency website

Please remember they MUST give you a waste transfer note if taking away your waste; if not, then DO NOT allow anyone to take it.

Keep a record of their details in case your rubbish is found dumped.

Please remember the council offers a bulky waste collection service

Commercial or business waste

All businesses have a duty of care for the disposal of commercial waste. They must ensure that:

  • waste is stored and disposed of responsibly
  • waste is only handled or dealt with by people or businesses that are authorised to do so
  • you get a waste transfer note and keep it
  • records of all waste that is transferred or received are stored for at least two years

Our enforcement officers can ask you to supply your waste transfer notes for the last two years. If you cannot supply them you can be fined or prosecuted.

Last updated on 04 January 2018