Tell us what you think about our site...



We can carry out adaptations to your home to make it easier for you to live there. Chesterfield Borough Council's adaptations team works with Derbyshire County Council's adult care team to look at ways of adapting your home.

How can my home be adapted?

Adapting your home might include major changes such as:

  • putting in a stairlift
  • changing your bath to a shower
  • widening your doors for a wheelchair access
  • putting in a ramp so you can access your property
  • changing your central heating system

Minor adaptations might include:

  • putting grab rails in the bathroom or toilet
  • putting grab rails on your doors
  • adding rails on the stairs
  • changing the taps to lever taps

How to apply for your home to be adapted

You can either:

  • complete an adaptations self-referral form (available to download below)
  • contact Derbyshire County Council's adult care team for an assessment on 01629 533 190 (main call centre)

The majority of adaptations are referred to Chesterfield Borough Council by occupational therapists from Derbyshire County Council's adult care team. However, if you complete a self-referral form we may carry out some minor work without the need for an adult care assessment.

What if my home can't be adapted to my needs?

If it is difficult to adapt your home, you may be able to move to a more suitable property that will meet your needs. To find out more, please visit the On the Move website or telephone 01246 345 671 or 01246 345 672.

Find out more

Adaptations Self-Referral Form (pdf 142 KB)
Adaptations: A Guide for Tenants (pdf 5.94 MB)
Alternative Solutions to Adaptations (pdf 8.03 MB)

Last updated on 11 February 2016