Saltergate multi-storey car park closure
Get ready for a brand new Saltergate multi-storey car park.
Saltergate multi-storey car park closed on Saturday 3 February - it will be demolished and replaced with a modern, multi-million pound, 24-hour a day car park in a revitalised area.
The car park is showing its age, doesn’t provide the facilities motorists want or need, and the cost to refurbish it is so high that it doesn't make financial sense.
We're going to replace the existing car park with a brand new one that will provide:
- safe, secure 24-hour parking
- better parking facilities for motorists
- an increase in the number of parking spaces compared to Saltergate car park today
- a more attractive building.
Although this will cause disruption in the short term, the finished result will make it worth the wait. In the meantime we've plenty of other nearby car parks for you to choose from, with convenient prepay options to help you save time and money.
You might not see many changes straight away as internal work will be carried out (such as taking out the lift, electric, water and telephone supplies) before the building is ready to be demolished.
Where else can I park?
We understand that closing the Saltergate multi-storey car park will cause inconvenience while we build a better one in its place.
The good news is that we have lots of other car parking nearby for you to choose from.
Whether you need short stay or long stay, surface car parks or multi-storey, pay and display, pay on return or pay in advance parking, we have something to suit you.
Use our car park finder to choose the best parking for you.
We stopped selling parking savers for the multi-storey car park at Saltergate in advance to avoid customers having tickets that ran out after the car park closed. We've also contacted annual pass holders about where they can park in future.
However, if you've previously bought daily parking savers for the Saltergate car park and they weren't used up by 3 February please get in touch. Call us on 01246 345593, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out how you can save money with our daily, monthly and yearly prepay options.
The car park redevelopment is part of our Northern Gateway scheme.
Developer Jomast is already working to convert the former Co-op store to create:
- seven ground floor family restaurants and bars
- a 92 bedroom Premier Inn hotel on the first and second floors
- a health and fitness centre in the basement.
To support this, we are going to build a new Saltergate multi-storey car park and:
- use a £5.83 million grant from the Sheffield City Region to carry out major environmental improvements to Elder Way and Knifesmithgate that will transform the area
- build an enterprise centre on part of the Holywell Cross (donut) car park to meet the demand for town centre business units for start-up and small to medium sized companies, which will create jobs and bring more customers to the town centre.