Free parking for Chesterfield residents
We run a free parking scheme to support residents and encourage more people to use local businesses.
If you are a Chesterfield resident and you pay your council tax to Chesterfield Borough Council you will receive a parking disc with your annual council tax bill. It can be used to park for free in the following Chesterfield Borough Council off-street pay and display car parks:
- Albion Road
- Derbyshire Times
- Devonshire Street
- Durrant Road
- Hollis Lane (excluding on-street bays)
- Holywell Cross (The Donut)
- Queens Park (North and South)
- Spa Lane
- Station Road
- St Mary’s Gate
- Theatre Lane
Residents of the borough can park free of charge before 10am and after 3pm Monday to Saturday and all day on a Sunday and bank holidays.
It cannot be used in any other off-street car park or on-street parking bays. Normal ticket charges will apply at these locations, and failure to display a ticket will result in the issue of a Penalty Charge Notice.
Frequently asked questions
You will need to buy a pay-and-display ticket for the period you wish to park. It might be worth leaving the parking disc in your car for future visits.
You will need to buy a pay-and-display ticket valid for the period you wish to park. For example, if you wished to park from 2pm to 5pm on a Wednesday, you would need to buy a one-hour parking ticket to cover the period 2pm to 3pm, but would then get the rest of the afternoon for free using your residents' parking disc. To do this you must display both the parking ticket and the residents' parking disc.
Please ring Parking Services on 01246 345 593. They will confirm if another parking disc can be issued. There will be a £5 charge for a replacement parking disc.
No. One parking disc is issued per property, although this can be switched between residents of the household provided only one person from the property uses it at any one time.
Bank Holidays (from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018) when the disc can be used:
- 14 April – Good Friday bank holiday
- 17 April – Easter Monday bank holiday
- 1 May – Early May bank holiday
- 29 May – Spring bank holiday
- 28 August – Summer bank holiday
- 25 December – Christmas Day
- 26 December – Boxing Day
- 1 January – New Year's Day
Terms and conditions
- The parking disc must be displayed on the dashboard of your vehicle and clearly visible through the windscreen when using the off-street car park included in the scheme.
- Your vehicle must be parked within a marked bay.
- When parked in a bay reserved for disabled users, both the parking disc and Blue Badge must be displayed on the dashboard of your vehicle and clearly visible through the windscreen.
- At all other times when using the off-street car park, you must pay and display a valid parking ticket.
- Failure to display a valid parking disc; or the display of a counterfeit parking disc (including photocopies); or the use of the parking disc outside the times stated; or in non-participating off-street car parks; or in on-street parking bays will risk incurring a Penalty Charge Notice.
- A £5 fee will be charged for the loss of a replacement parking disc.