Coronavirus (COVID-19) - how it is affecting our services

Dead animals

Dead animals

If you find a dead animal it will need taking away and disposing of.

This includes wild animals like badgers and foxes, as well as domestic pets such as cats and dogs.

Who will sort it out depends on where the animal is, what type of animal it is and whether it is causing an obstruction, see below for more details.

If you spot a dead animal please don't remove it yourself as we are unable to collect from your home or business.

Cats and dogs

When we collect a dead cat or dog we will scan it to see if it has been microchipped. We also cross-check the details with our lost dog register, to try and reunite the animal with its owner. We keep a record of all dead animals that we pick up. 

Report a vehicle accident with an animal

You must stop and report the accident to the police if you hit a dog, horse, cow, pig, sheep, goat or donkey with your vehicle.

You must do this as quickly as you can, whether the animal is killed or not. 

Who is responsible?

Expand all

If you spot a dead animal causing an obstruction on a dual carriageway  (anything bigger than, for example, a squirrel), it will need to be moved to a safe place before we can dispose of it.

This is carried out by Derbyshire County Council as they are the highways authority. 

Report a dead animal that is on the A61 (Dronfield by-pass and inner relief road) or A617 (Hasland by-pass) to Derbyshire County Council here.

Once the animal has been moved to a safe place we will collect it and dispose of it.

At domestic premises, animals can no longer be placed in the wheelie bin.

You can contact us on 01246 345345 to arrange disposal but you may be charged for this.

Some vets may also dispose of your deceased pet for a fee. 

If you find a dead animal on private land you should contact the land or property owner and let them know.

The council is not responsible for disposing of dead animals on private land or premises.

If you see a dead animal in a field containing livestock you should report it to the landowner. 

If you don't know who this is, please contact the Department of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) as it could be a health hazard to the livestock in the field. 

Call the DEFRA helpline on 03459 33 55 77 or email

If you come across a dead animal on a public right of way, such as a country footpath on private land, please report it to the landowner.

If you don't know who the landowner is please contact Derbyshire County Council's rights of way officer.

Contact Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 or use their online reporting form

We will clear away dead animals on public land, such as in parks, on grass verges and pavements and on most roads (but see 'dual carriageways' above).

Contact us on 01246 345345 to report a dead animal on public land or you can fill in our online enquiry form.



Last updated on 02 July 2020