Bereavement services updates
Bereavement services updates:
Due to the coronavirus pandemic and in line with government guidelines, all Derbyshire Registration Offices are currently running a reduced service.
Registering a death
You will need to call the register office to arrange a telephone appointment.
Further to the government’s instructions, funerals are still going ahead, but with added restrictions to protect everyone attending funerals during this time.
In line with the latest Government guidance, Chesterfield and District Crematorium have introduced new guidelines for funerals. These steps ensure the safety of our staff, mourners, celebrants and ministers.
The following measures have been introduced at Chesterfield and District Crematorium with immediate effect:
- The chapel windows are left open to allow a constant supply of fresh air into chapel. Please be extremely quiet around the chapel as a service is likely to be in progress.
- mourners are being encouraged to wait in their cars or outside the chapel ahead of services, rather than congregating in the waiting room to reduce the risk of infection
- in the Crematorium chapel, every other row will be cordoned off whilst introducing a maximum of three people per row
- the chapel capacity is now reduced to 24 people
- webcasting of funeral services can be arranged by contacting your funeral director; if necessary, you can request outside speakers, to broadcast the ceremony to mourners outside the chapel
- only those closest to the deceased should attend the service (ie immediate family)
- ministers and celebrants will be asked to scale back services to a maximum of 25 minutes, this will allow for cleaning of the chapel in between services
- service books have been removed from the chapel as a precaution
- unfortunately, mourners should no longer touch the coffin on leaving the chapel
- every person entering the chapel will be given a spray of hand sanitiser, and another when they exit
- those from the government’s ‘vulnerable groups’ or those showing any symptoms of coronavirus should not attend funeral services
- shaking of hands, hugging and close personal contact is discouraged; any contact is forbidden with crematorium and cemetery staff
- at burials, a member of the team will lead the mourners to the grave side, remove the batons and then retreat to a safe distance
- there is strictly no access to staff areas other than reception without prior agreement from the manager
- only two people are allowed access to the waiting room at any one time
- strictly only one person can enter the office to collect cremated remains at any one time
Please check back here for further updates.
Bereavement services key contacts:
Telephone: 01246 345112