Registering to vote
You can vote in Chesterfield if:
- you are 18 years old (you can register to vote at age 16)
- you are a British, other Commonwealth, Irish or other European Union citizen (see the list below).
- you are living in the Chesterfield Borough Council area
|Elections Nationality Checklist||(pdf 41 KB)|
Register by Thursday 26 November to vote in the general election on 12 December 2019.
You don’t need to register again if you’ve already registered to vote.
The deadline for registering for a postal vote, is 5pm on Thursday 26 November.
The deadline for registering for a proxy vote is 5pm, Wednesday 4 December 2019.
Register to vote
Paying council tax in Chesterfield does not mean that you are automatically registered to vote.
Go to www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.
- Fill in your name, address, date of birth and other details.
- You will need your National Insurance number. You can find this on your National Insurance card, in official paperwork such as payslips, or letters about benefits or tax credits.
- You will receive confirmation from your council to say you are registered to vote.
If you prefer you can download and print the registration form below and send it back to us by post.
|Voter Registration Form||(pdf 133 KB)|
Contact our elections team on 01246 345806 if you need help registering to vote.
Forgotten your National Insurance number?
If you don’t know your National Insurance number, you should contact Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs (HMRC).*
- visit the website at: www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number.
- telephone the helpline on 0300 200 3502.
*HMRC will not tell you your National Insurance number over the telephone, they will post it to you.