Coronavirus (COVID-19) - New restrictions will be in force from 5 November to 2 December. Find out how it is affecting our services.

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments are payments we can make to people in exceptional hardship, who need extra help with their housing costs.

Who can apply for Discretionary Housing Payments?

You can apply for Discretionary Housing Payment if you receive Housing Benefit or the housing costs element of Universal Credit.

We only have a limited amount of money for Discretionary Housing Payments, so not all applications will be successful.

Discretionary Housing Payments are not a long term solution for financial difficulties.

How can I apply for Discretionary Housing Payment?

Print off the claim form below, or contact us to send you one in the post. You can call into our customer service centre for help completing the form, or request a home visit if you are unable to come into the office.

Discretionary Housing Payment claim form PDF (PDF 493 KB)

Complete the form and send it to:

Chesterfield Borough Council
Benefits Section
PO Box 100
85 New Square
S40 1AH

Tel: 01246 345484 / 345507
Fax: 01246 345486
Text: 07960 910264
Email: or contact us online

Last updated on 12 November 2020