Health and safety enforcement
Health and safety enforcement is split between local authorities and the Health and Safety Executive.
Local authorities are responsible for a variety of premises in the service sector, such as warehouses, offices, retail shops, catering premises, residential care homes, hairdressers, beauty salons, etc. The Health and Safety Executive is responsible for factories, farms, schools, railways and transport on public roads, construction sites, etc.
Chesterfield Borough Council is responsible for the enforcement of health and safety legislation in approximately 1,700 premises. Our aim is to protect people at work and those who may be affected by work activities by securing compliance with health and safety legislation by:
- carrying out health and safety inspections
- investigating accidents and dangerous occurrences reported to us
- investigating complaints
- providing advice and guidance on health and safety
- undertaking initiatives to raise awareness on health and safety issues
Health and Safety Section, Environmental Health
Chesterfield Borough Council
Old Brickworks Lane, Stonegravels
- Health and Safety Executive: www.hse.gov.uk