Apply for a pavement licence

Apply for a pavement licence

Pavement Licences

As of 22 July 2020, The Business and Planning Act 2020 gained Royal Assent and has come into effect.

Pavement licences allow the licence-holder to place removable furniture over certain highways adjacent to their premises.

Premises which are used for either of the following may apply for a pavement licence:

  • a public house, wine bar or other drinking establishment; or
  • for the sale of food or drink for consumption on or off the premises


How to apply

To apply for a pavement licence you will need to complete the application form below and email it along with the following documents to

  • A copy of your public liability insurance documents showing how you are covered for this activity on the pavement
  • A copy of the public notice you have placed on the pavement in a visible, and obvious location
  • A plan or set of plans fully showing the dimensions of the pavement and your furniture you intend to place on the pavement
  • A fee of £100

It will be your responsibility to ensure that all the information required is provided, and any documents you supply are clearly readable. If there is any missing information or the information is illegible, your application may be refused.

If our documents are not accessible to you, you can request a different format here.
Application for a pavement licence (Business And Planning Act 2020) PDF (PDF 172 KB)

The licence shall expire no later than 30 September 2023 or earlier date where specified within the licence and shall remain in force only for such period of time as the Licensee remains the occupier of the premises or until withdrawn by the Council under the Act or surrendered to the Council by the Licensee.


How to pay

You can call and pay the application fee over the phone - call the Licensing team on 01246 345230. 

If you submit your application before calling to pay the fee, someone will get in touch with you to arrange payment of the application fee.

When considering any Pavement licence application, Chesterfield Borough Council will consult with any, or all of the following responsible authorities:

  • Derbyshire County Council Highways
  • Derbyshire Police
  • Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
  • Chesterfield Borough Council Planning
  • Chesterfield Borough Council Environmental Health 
  • Chesterfield Borough Council Health and Safety

Applicants should be aware that all details given on their application and documents submitted will be shared with the above agencies to enable full consultation with statutory partners, and in the interests of ensuring effective administration of the licensing scheme. Redacted versions will be published on the Council’s website for public consultation.

Last updated on 12 December 2023