Apply for a qualifying club premises certificate

Apply for a qualifying club premises certificate

Qualifying clubs

Clubs such as the Royal British Legion, Miners' Welfare, Working Mens, Political Clubs, Cricket or Rugby Clubs are generally organisations where members join together for a particular social, sporting or political purpose and then combine to purchase alcohol in bulk for its members.

The grant of a Club Premises Certificate means that a club is entitled to certain benefits, which include the authority to supply alcohol to its members and to sell it to guests without the need for any member or employee to hold a Personal Licence, and the absence of the requirement to specify a designated premises supervisor. A number of general conditions must be met.

These are:

  • that under the rules of the club, persons may not be admitted to membership, or be admitted as candidates for membership, to any of the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their nomination for membership and their admission
  • that under the rules of the club, those becoming members, without prior nomination or application, may not be admitted to the privileges of membership without any interval of at least two days between their becoming members and their admission
  • that the club is established and conducted in good faith as a club
  • that the club has at least 25 members
  • that alcohol is not supplied to members on the premises otherwise than by or on behalf of the club 

How do I apply for a Club Premises Certificate?

An application for a Club Premises Certificate must be made to the relevant Licensing Authority, that is the authority within whose area the premises, or the major part of the premises, is situated. To apply for a Club Premises Certificate, the following will need to be supplied to the council:

  • a completed application form
  • an operating schedule
  • a plan of the premises in the prescribed form
  • the application fee
  • provide rules of the club

The original application form, plan and appropriate fee must be submitted to Chesterfield Borough Council Licensing (Licensing Authority).

Responsible authorities

You must also give a copy of the application form and a copy of the accompanying documents to the responsible authorities on the same day that the application form is given to the council.

Advertising your application

You will need to advertise the application in the local press and display a notice at or on the premises. The notices are on blue paper and are provided by the Licensing section. Please contact 01246 345230.

Please see attached information leaflet for guidance as to how to apply and the application form.

Licensing Act 2003 Fees

If our documents are not accessible to you, you can request a different format here.
Application for New Club Premises Certificate Word (Word 68 KB)
New Club Premises Certificate Guidance PDF (PDF 150 KB)

Last updated on 06 April 2023