Revitalising the Heart of Chesterfield - The proposals
We’re investing in our town centre to make sure it thrives for generations to come.
The £10.28m Revitalising the Heart of Chesterfield scheme will transform the look, feel and flow of the town centre – creating a contemporary market town built on our proud history and heritage.
We’ve been asking for people’s views on these plans. The consultation is now closed – thanks you everyone who had their say.
Our plans are at the concept stage, and your views will help us to shape the detail and design of the next stage.
The consultation on this stage of the plans is now closed, but you can still see the detail of the proposals on these pages.
These web pages set out some of the key proposals – you can navigate through these using the menu or click the link on the bottom of each page to be taken to the next page.
You can download the full draft design and the public consultation documents below.
We’re focusing on the key areas of Rykneld Square, Spire Walk, Corporation Street, Burlington Street, Market Square and New Square.
The work will be carried out in phases – starting later this year and due for completion in 2025.
- Significant improvements to Chesterfield’s historic market grounds
- Re-imagined town centre spaces that can be used for attractions like markets, festivals, events and cultural celebrations
- Upgrades to Rykneld Square to help frame the iconic Crooked Spire as a key attraction
- More greenery, new paving, seating, lighting, signposting and street furniture to create better-looking and better-connected spaces
- Improved lighting and digital connectivity
Together with the major refurbishment of Stephenson Memorial Hall on Corporation Street (which houses the Pomegranate Theatre and Chesterfield Museum) the project is being brought forward thanks to almost £20m which Chesterfield Borough Council secured from the Government’s levelling up fund.
Find out more about our vision for Chesterfield town centre.