• Information about declined payments 

    We are seeing an increase in the number of payments being declined. This is often due to the additional security features the payment card providers are introducing to try to reduce fraudulent payments and protect customers from fraud. Please note, that the council does not have access to any information telling us why your payment was declined. 

    What to do if your payment is declined

    Please contact your card issuer (which may be your bank or credit card provider) and ask them why the payment was declined. They will probably ask you a date and time you tried to make the payment and how much you were trying to pay. If you don’t get a satisfactory answer as to why your payment was declined, asking the following questions may help:

    • Does my card have an upper limit on the amount I can pay for an online transaction?
    • Do you try and contact me if the amount I am trying to pay online is above a certain amount?
    • How are you trying to contact me – do you have my correct contact details?
    • Was the payment declined because I didn’t have enough money in my account? 

    Your card issuer should try and help you so you don’t have future payments declined. 

    Find alternate payment methods


If you consider that your property should be placed in a higher or lower band you may appeal to the Listing Officer, but only in the following circumstances:

  • where you believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (see below for definitions) in the value of the dwelling
  • where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes
  • where the Listing Officer has altered the Valuation List without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer
  • where you become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time (your appeal must be made within six months, but if an appeal in respect of the same property on the same grounds has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, a further appeal cannot be made)

A material increase in value may result from building, engineering, or other work carried out on the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale (so the person appealing will usually be the new owner or resident).

A material reduction in value may result from the demolition of any part of the dwelling, any change in the physical state of the local area or an adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability. In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

The address of the Listing Officer is:

Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road

Phone: 0300 050 1501

You may also appeal if you consider that you are not liable to pay Council Tax, for example, because you are not the resident or owner, or because the property is exempt, or that we have made a mistake in calculating your bill. If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify the Council Tax Section in writing so that we have the opportunity to reconsider your case.

Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of the tax owing in the meantime. If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax.

Further details of the appeal procedures (including the role of Valuation Tribunals) may be obtained by writing to the Council Tax Section at the Customer Service Centre.

Last updated on 03 March 2022