Discounts, exemptions and reductions

  • Information about declined payments 

    We are seeing an increase in the number of payments being declined. This is often due to the additional security features the payment card providers are introducing to try to reduce fraudulent payments and protect customers from fraud. Please note, that the council does not have access to any information telling us why your payment was declined. 

    What to do if your payment is declined

    Please contact your card issuer (which may be your bank or credit card provider) and ask them why the payment was declined. They will probably ask you a date and time you tried to make the payment and how much you were trying to pay. If you don’t get a satisfactory answer as to why your payment was declined, asking the following questions may help:

    • Does my card have an upper limit on the amount I can pay for an online transaction?
    • Do you try and contact me if the amount I am trying to pay online is above a certain amount?
    • How are you trying to contact me – do you have my correct contact details?
    • Was the payment declined because I didn’t have enough money in my account?

     Your card issuer should try and help you so you don’t have future payments declined. 

    Find alternate payment methods


Most Council Tax bills are based on two or more adults living in a property (dwelling) as their main home.

If there are less than two adults counted as living in your home, or if you have a property that is unoccupied, your bill could be reduced. 

You could also get a reduction if someone that lives with you is disabled and your home has special facilities for them.

Find out about:

If you are not sure whether you are entitled to a discount, exemption or reduction please contact us.

If your bill shows that a discount or exemption has been granted but you think that you are not entitled to all or part of it then you should tell us immediately (you could receive a penalty if you don't).

You might also be interested in:

Last updated on 03 March 2022