Severe mental impairment

If an adult living in your home has a severe mental impairment, your Council Tax could be reduced.

For example they may have:

  • Alzheimer's or dementia
  • Parkinson's
  • severe learning difficulties
  • impairment from a stroke or injury

The impairment must appear to be permanent, and the person's doctor will need to certify that they are severely mentally impaired.

They must also be entitled to at least one of the following benefits (even if they are not receiving it):

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disabled Person's Tax Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate care component)
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Increased Disablement Pension (where constant attendance is needed)
  • Income Support which includes a Disability Premium
  • Personal Independence Payment (daily living component)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Unemployability Supplement or Unemployability Allowance
  • Universal Credit (with limited capability for work)

If the person qualifies as severely mentally impaired we will disregard them for Council Tax. This means that your bill could be reduced by 25%, 50% or even 100% depending on who else lives with them.

Contact us if you need any information or advice.

You may also be interested in:

Last updated on 18 November 2022