Reduction for disabled people

Reduction for disabled people

You could get a reduction if someone living with you is disabled, and you need a home adapted to meet their needs.

The disabled person can be any age, and this must be their main home. To qualify they must be substantially and permanently disabled.

We can award the reduction if your home has one of the following:

  • an extra bathroom or kitchen - a second toilet doesn't count for this reduction
  • a room (other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet) that is used mainly by the disabled person and has been adapted to meet their needs
  • extra space for the disabled person to use a wheelchair inside the property 

We will need to carry out some checks before we can award this reduction. 

Contact us if you need any information or advice.


Apply for single person's reduction


Protecting your privacy - find out how we keep your information safe.

What happens next?

We will contact you to arrange to visit your home to check that it meets one of the conditions. If it does we will give you a form to take to the doctor - they need to confirm that the facilities are essential for meeting the needs of the disabled person.

If your application is successful the Council Tax bill will be charged at the valuation band below the usual one for your property. If you live in a band A property, you will be charged 5/9th of the charge for a property in band D. 

We will send you a new bill and let you know your new payments. If your account is in credit we will contact you about a refund.

Tell us if something changes

Please tell us if the disabled person no longer lives with you, so that we can end the reduction.

We may contact you from time to time to check that you are still entitled to the disabled person's reduction.

You might also be interested in:

Last updated on 23/11/2023