Animal welfare

A wide range of different organisations respond to calls from members of the public about different animal welfare problems and it can be very confusing to know who to report different problems to.

This includes the police, local authorities, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) and Animal Health and Veterinary Laboratories Agency, but also includes social landlords and council teams whose primary responsibilities are not animal issues (such as social services).

Different bodies have different responsibilities and some have statutory powers to be able to take action. To ensure the best course of action is taken for an individual animal it is important that the right agency is contacted first time.

The guide below shows who to report different problems to so that the animal welfare issue is addressed as quickly as possible. 

Whether it is farm livestock, pet animals, or wildlife, the different agencies have different powers and responsibilities. 

Report cruelty or an animal in distress.

If our documents are not accessible to you, you can request a different format here.
Animal Welfare Who Does What PDF (PDF 290 KB)


Animal licensing complaints

You can let us know if you have concerns about a licensed animal business, or think that someone is carrying out animal activities without a licence. You can report an animal establishment.

You might also be interested in:

Last updated on 22/11/2023