We can offer help to prevent and relieve homelessness.

You may find yourself homeless, or threatened with homelessness if you:

  • have been asked to leave by family or friends
  • have received notice from your landlord
  • are in mortgage arrears or threat of repossession
  • have rent arrears owing to a council, housing association or private landlord
  • have any other reason which means you cannot stay in your usual home


Homelessness applications

All councils have a duty to provide advice and assistance for people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

Sometimes it will be necessary to make an application under the homelessness legislation, or you may be referred to other services or organisations for specialist advice. Occasionally people may need emergency accommodation arranged on the day.


Contacting the homelessness prevention team

You can contact us on 01246 345825. Leave your name, contact details and a short message and we will call you back.

If you have access to the internet, enter your details so that the duty officer can contact you when the office opens.

Our homelessness prevention service is open Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 8.30am to 5pm, Wednesday 10am to 5pm, and Friday 8.30am to 4.30pm.

Alternatively you can email us at homelessness.prevention@chesterfield.gov.uk.

We understand that being homeless, or threatened with homelessness, can be a very frightening experience and we will do everything possible to help.

Find out what to do in an emergency outside these hours.


Do you need extra help?

If you think you need further help before you apply to us please see the advice below.


What we will do

We will carefully consider your housing status and circumstances. We will try to help you to maintain your current accommodation, if it is safe to do so, or help you find alternative accommodation if needed. The changes made to the Housing Act Part VII by the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 now make this a statutory duty.

We will try to prevent you becoming homeless and, if that is not possible, we will help you in trying to relieve your homelessness. If we later accept a full duty to assist you, you will receive one offer of accommodation* anywhere in the borough and this could be social housing, a private rented tenancy or supported housing.  You must advise the homeless service of any areas where you would be unsafe or if there are exceptional reasons why an area is unsuitable. 

* this is in line with our homelessness policy.


If you have nowhere to stay

If you have nowhere to stay safely while your circumstances are being considered, you may be placed into interim accommodation, for as short a time as possible. This may be:

  • a Chesterfield Borough Council interim tenancy that you can move your furniture into
  • hostel accommodation
  • bed and breakfast accommodation

All households placed into interim accommodation must abide by the tenancy conditions and/or rules of the landlord. If you are asked to leave the interim accommodation, we may not have a further duty to provide you with any more interim accommodation.

You will have to claim Housing Benefit and pay a contribution towards the cost of your stay.


Homeless emergency

If you find yourself homeless because of an emergency situation, outside of office hours call the P3 Charity on 0808 169 2333 for advice and assistance. 


Getting help and finding out more


Worried about paying your mortgage?

The National Homelessness Advice Service website has advice and information for homeowners worried about paying their mortgage and struggling with payments.

If you are concerned about making your mortgage payments due to the current coronavirus situation you should contact your mortgage lender straight away.

Extra help and support

Expand all

Are you frightened to stay in your current home because of threats from your partner, ex-partner or family?

Contact The Elm Foundation for advice, accommodation and support.

  • Phone: 01246 540464
  • Email: info@theelmfoundation.org.uk
  • Text: 07788 396182

You can also find advice and support on the Womens' Aid website.

Is your drug or alcohol use becoming a problem?

Contact Pathways of Chesterfield for support - 120 Saltergate, Chesterfield, S40 1NG.  Telephone  01246 498204.

Derbyshire Recovery Partnership accepts referrals via its single point of entry referred to as 'The Hub'.

The service is for any adult (18+) who wants to address any issues they have caused by the use of drugs or alcohol. This can include binge drinking, the use of 'New Psychoactive Substances' (sometimes referred to as 'legal highs'), as well as physical alcohol or drug dependence for any level of drug or alcohol intervention

Call 01246 206514.

The homelessness prevention team can help you get a private rented tenancy, we also offer extensive advice on private property and private renting issues. 

The Tenancy Bond Guarantee Scheme can help Chesterfield residents to access private rented accommodation if they meet the conditions of the scheme.

Contact us on 01246 345825 for more details and advice about moving to privately rented accommodation. 

Take a look at the How to Rent checklist for renting a home in England.

Your usual support worker or your doctor should be able to refer you directly to this service or help you to contact us using the details above.

You can be referred by your support worker, ideally as part of your pathway plan.

North East Derbyshire District Council, Bolsover District Council, Chesterfield Borough Council, Derbyshire Dales District Council, Erewash Borough Council and South Derbyshire District Council have a prison release protocol with Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicester and Rutland Community Rehabilitation Company and the Staffordshire and West Midlands Community Rehabilitation Company.

You should be referred prior to your release to the appropriate council.

Discuss your referral to the homelessness service with your supervisor.

Talk to your carers who will be able to refer you to the homelessness service.

You may be able to register on our waiting list, visit our Home Options website for more information.

Contact us on 01246 345825 if you need advice quickly.

Last updated on 23 December 2021