Coronavirus (COVID-19) - how it is affecting our services

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour

  • Coronavirus (COVID-19):

    Due to the coronavirus outbreak, the best method to contact the neighbourhoods team about anti-social behaviour involving council tenants is by email.

We believe that everyone should be able to live in their home, free from crime, harassment, and unreasonable levels of disturbance. 

Our anti-social behaviour policy explains our role in dealing with anti-social behaviour:

Chesterfield Borough Council anti-social behaviour policy 2019 PDF (PDF 90 KB)

We also have an additional policy and procedure that specifically deals with anti-social behaviour carried out by, or against, our council tenants

How we can help

Please tell us as soon as you have a problem – the sooner we know, the sooner we can help.

If you are a council tenant, or if you are being affected by the actions of someone that is a council tenant, please contact our neighbourhoods team for advice.

For help with anti-social behaviour problems that don't involve council tenants please report it online or contact us for advice.

You can also find out about:

What other help can you get?

You can get advice from other organisations, including:

Chesterfield Citizens' Advice Bureau

Derbyshire Law Centre


  • Non-emergency enquiries: call 101
  • In an emergency call 999 or 112. 
  • Text phone (if you are deaf, hard of hearing or have a speech impediment): 18001 101

Websites for victims of hate incidents and hate crime

If you are a victim of hate crime you can get help and report the problem on the True Vision website

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau website also provides helpful information and links to advice about hate crime.

Last updated on 31 March 2020