Report a noise problem

Report a noise problem

Noise can be caused by neighbours, businesses and building work. 

It can be a problem if it happens regularly and affects people's quality of life.

What you should do
If noise is affecting you try talking to the person or business that is causing it. They may be able to solve the problem without the need for formal action. Find out how to solve a problem with your neighbour

If you are still being affected by a noise problem we may be able to help.

If you are concerned for the safety of a child or vulnerable person:
Ring Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 or contact Derbyshire Police on 101 (24 hours per day), in an emergency call 999. Find out more about child protection and safeguarding vulnerable adults.

Reporting a noise problem

Please read through the guidance on our noise page before reporting a problem to us.

You can find out what we can deal with, what you will need to do and what action we can take. 

When you report a problem to us we will need to know:

  • where the noise is coming from, and who or what is causing it
  • what the noise is like an how loud it is
  • when it happens and how long it has been going on
  • how it is affecting you - such as not being able to hear your TV, waking you up in the night

We can't investigate anonymous complaints. We need your name and address because we will need to visit your property. You may need to keep a noise diary for two weeks so that we can understand what is happening and when.

We won't share your name and address with the person causing the problem. But in exceptional circumstances your details may be quoted if your evidence is used in court.

Photos can help us with our enquiries - but don't take photos if you feel it isn't safe. 

Report a noise problem


Protecting your privacy - find out how we keep your information safe.

What we can do

We will investigate noise problems that may be causing a statutory nuisance

We can talk to the person or business that is causing the noise. We will find out what they are doing to control it, and explain what action they need to take. We will try and resolve the issue informally, but can take a more formal approach if necessary.

If the problem doesn't improve and we find that it is causing a statutory nuisance, we will take formal action. Find out about the type of legal action we can take.

You might also be interested in:

We deal with noise problems under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Last updated on 10/07/2024