Building control privacy notice
This privacy notice explains what personal information is needed in order to deliver the building control service.
Safeguards are in place to ensure that this data is kept secure and the privacy of individuals is protected.
Who is responsible for your information?
Chesterfield Borough Council is the data controller for the personal information collected. The council’s statutory building control function is outsourced to Derbyshire Building Control Partnership who acts as a processor on behalf of the council.
How your information is collected
Information about you is collected through different channels:
- information you provide
- information received from a third party.
Purposes of processing your personal data
Your information is processed in order to provide the building control service. This includes the following purposes:
- to review your building regulations application
- to arrange for an inspection of your property
- to issue a completion certificate
- to issue invoices and take payment
- to enforce building regulations.
Categories of personal data and lawful basis
In order to provide this service, it is necessary to process some or all of the following categories of personal information:
- contact details
- card payment details (not stored in our systems).
Under data protection legislation, processing in order handle your application, or for enforcement purposes, is permitted because it forms part of the council’s public task to deliver the building control service. Processing of invoices and taking payment is allowed under data protection legislation because it forms part of the performance of a contract.
The legal duty to provide a building control service, and to enforce building regulations, is created by the following pieces of legislation (this list is not exhaustive):
- Building Regulations 2010
- Building Act 1984
- Public Health Act 1936.
Who we share your personal data with
Your personal information could be shared with the following groups of people:
- Land Registry
- Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service
- the address of your property will be published on the DBCP website, along with some details of your application; this will not include any personal information
- your application may be passed to other Chesterfield Borough Council departments for review.
Please get in touch if you would like more information about how your personal data is processed.