Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, our bereavement services have implemented measures to protect our staff and users of our services.
Visit the Coronavirus information hub for more information.
The crematorium is beautifully situated in undulating country bounded by fields and woodlands, and provides a peaceful resting place in picturesque surroundings.
The Chesterfield and District Joint Crematorium Committee purchased this 20-acre site near Brimington in 1954 and carefully landscaped it with trees, shrubs and flowers. The building was officially opened by The Rt. Hon. The Earl of Verulam on 31 October 1959. Anyone can be cremated here, irrespective of local connections or religious beliefs. Our staff aims to provide the highest standard of service to the bereaved, offering sympathetic help, information and advice.
We have two areas for the strewing of cremated remains. One is situated to the north of the crematorium buildings and the other is to the south named the Woodland Walk. In these areas cremated remains are strewn and the location is recorded so other members of the same family may be strewn in the same area.
An atmosphere of peace and tranquillity prevails in the surroundings of the crematorium.
The passing of close relatives or friends is always a time of sorrow and stress, but within the quiet and peaceful grounds of the crematorium, everything has been done to make the occasion as reverent, as consoling and as respectful as possible.
The crematorium chapel has recently been fully modernised and refurbished with new seating to increase capacity from 80 to 100, new carpets, floral displays, walls and lighting. The entrance has seen a second set of external doors to help reduce noise and a new exit ramp have been built which takes mourners to the floral tribute area and shelters them from the elements with a covered roof.
The crematorium chapel entrance and exit are accessible for wheelchair users, and are either level or gradually ramped throughout. There is also ramped access to the crematorium office. A wheelchair is available for loan, if required. For the hard of hearing, induction loops have been installed in the chapel and in the reception area of the crematorium office. Specially adapted toilet facilities, suitable for disabled persons, are provided adjoining the waiting room, opposite the chapel entrance.
Most of our information signs include notation in braille. Guide dogs and assistance dogs are permitted to enter all parts of the buildings and grounds.
The crematorium is administered by Chesterfield Borough Council on behalf of the Bolsover, North East Derbyshire and Chesterfield Councils.
The crematorium grounds and Book of Remembrance are open to the public between the following times:
Monday to Friday (except bank holidays) - 9am, to 5pm
Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays:
- December, January - 11am to 4pm
- February, March, April, October, November - 11am to 5pm
- May, June, July, August, September - 11am to 6pm
There are 95 car parking spaces within the public car park at the crematorium, along with an additional six disabled parking bays.
Chesterfield and District Crematorium, Chesterfield Road, Brimington, Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S43 1AU
Call: (01246) 345 888
Get directions to Chesterfield an District Crematorium.