History of the Town Hall
The Town Hall is situated on Rose Hill, Chesterfield, overlooking Shentall Gardens and the War Memorial. Construction of the building commenced in 1935 and was completed in 1938.
The building was designed by Mr A J Hope of Messrs, Bradshaw, Gass and Hope. The tender for the build was granted to Robert Carlyle Co. Ltd. of Manchester in June 1935. The building cost £142,500 and was opened by the Duchess of Devonshire (the present Duke’s grandmother) on 6 April 1938.
The interior has beautifully crafted walnut panelling and furniture that was specifically designed for the building even down to desks, chairs and cupboards. An Egyptian theme runs through the decoration and there are lotus flower motifs in the ceilings.